Jamaica, Fishing, Hunting, Cooking and Nyaming Food

 


Just a few of my favorite local VLOGS that I follow and watch weekly. I do love the local hunting and fishing vlogs because most of them use traditional low-tech methods. Growing up in Kingston and St. Andrew I always envy the people in the country. I used to listen to stories from country people telling me how they go a bush or river or sea and how much food they had at their fingertips and how much fun they had getting it. They made it sound so easy, they go a bush and come back with crocus bags full of food or just camp out in the bush or seaside and enjoy life. Meanwhile all I could do is go to the corner shop or supermarket to buy food or eat what was planted in my yard.

Growing up I had a friend, Ricky from the country who use to come and stay with his aunty next door. I would listen to tales of the hunt, the many adventures. It was like reading the adventures of Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn. To me Country life was much better than city life. In my backyard we tried to recreate country life climbing trees or trying to catch wild birds. The problem was every time we set the trap one of my pigeons would go for the food and we got it instead.

Couple years ago, while vacationing in Florida, I went fishing with the family and caught my head while casting, to everyone’s amusement. The barbed hook went under my skin in my head and I had to go to the emergency room to have it out. There were two other persons with fish hooks in them and the doctor said I was fifth person so far and maybe I should buy my fish at the supermarket.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Techniques for Sharing your Sky Juice at School

The British Cornish Pasty vs. The Jamaican Beef Patty

Heroes and Nation Builders of Jamaica