Jamaica: Making my Nunchakus




The first time I watched the Bruce Lee movie, Enter the Dragon. I went home and decided to make myself Nunchakus. It was then that I decided that our mop was expendable as I removed the mop stick leaving the mop dead on the floor. Daddy was not a happy camper on discovering that he only had a mop, minus the stick but I had plans.

By the time he found out the stick was already cut in several equal parts. The mop stick was not the only thing to be sacrificed because the dog chain/leash was perfect to connect the ends of my Nunchaku sticks, much to the delight of the dog. The chain was connected to the sticks using a U-shaped nail, some tape, and strings, if I can remember correctly.

I am not sure why I am still alive today, because over the next several weeks I suffered several concussion-like blows, one of which split my head open. I also suffered blows to the back, stomach and groin area trying to use the Nunchaku like Bruce Lee. 

I used to practice on the trees, but my favorite target was the banana plant, one could really inflict some damages on those. I just did not understand why my father would get so mad, after all several suckers(young plants) were already growing.

I lost my Nunchaku when I made the mistake taking them to school, showing them to my friends. Sir was watching my every move and by the time I went back to class he confiscated them. I thought of sacrificing the new mop but never got around to it, as I had moved on to my next adventure.

Then there was the time I broke my arm. Breaking my arm was the best thing that could happen to me. Because with the cast on, I could pretend to be the Six Million Dollar Man, with a bionic arm, including the slow motion running with correct sound effects.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The British Cornish Pasty vs. The Jamaican Beef Patty

Techniques for Sharing your Sky Juice at School

Heroes and Nation Builders of Jamaica