Jamaica Normalize Crime and Corruption



Jamaicans are very selective when it comes to corruption, crime, criminals, and victim outrage. We love to pretend that we are outrage about corruption but for the most part we are not. Jamaica as a society normalized various aspect of corruption and crime, it is seen as an opportunity and all depends on who is the perpetrator, who is benefiting and who is the victim. I once wrote that I had to cut down all the fruit trees in my yard because I was tired of coming home finding people in my yard and up my trees. Based on the response I got from some, one would think I went into the yard of the people who were in my yard and cut down their food trees depriving them of a meal. I became the criminal for cutting down my own tree and they, the invaders of my yard became the victims.


We give cute names to crimes we love Scamma and Choppa, and worship community dons, warlords, and Scammers because they are seen as providers for the ghettos. The people respect the fact that they came from nothing, little ghetto youths, go up against the system and found a way to make money, flashing the wealth from their criminal enterprise around the community. And some are upset when they are targeted by the security forces, claiming persecution of the little black ghetto youths.


There are many victims because of these recent financial corruption scandals. Many human lives disrupted, and some people lost all their life savings. These people however, remains faceless and nameless because as far as Jamaicans are concern there is only one victim, Usain Bolt, and everyone else is fair game?


Fraud is not only limited to financial institutions, it exist at every level of the Jamaican society because greed exists at every level. There are no bigger criminals in Jamaica then Religious Criminals. Pastors and Preachers of Jamaica favorite pastime is to prey on the weak and vulnerable almost daily. Every con artist has a gimmick of some sort and the people preaching in churches have the best gimmick of all. The use of religion to get the same things drug dealers, warlords, Dons and politicians want out of life. That is to enrich themselves at the expensive of the weaker more vulnerable members of our society while preaching of the better that will come.



Comments

  1. I agree on all said here except, cutting down trees we have inherited is rooted in selfishness & fear. I cannot say I’d be comfortable coming home to strangers in my yard but it is possible to have created another way of distributing the fruits they provided. Hopefully you have planted double the amount you destroyed bc trees & food sovereignty should be a legacy we leave behind proudly for future generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today they come for the fruits in your yard. Tomorrow they come for your life! Are you willing to take that chance? I am not in business of distribution fruits to people who violate my space. As a matter of fact, it was not only fruits they took. They stole the cloths from off the line and removed Tires from the cars. One cannot be Naïve when it comes to your safety. One must be proactive, prevention is better then cure or consequence. These days the yard is well fruited thanks to a combination of Rhodesian Ridgeback, private and personal security.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The British Cornish Pasty vs. The Jamaican Beef Patty

Techniques for Sharing your Sky Juice at School

Heroes and Nation Builders of Jamaica