The Future of Reggae Music?

In the simplest terms, the one drop is defined by the lack of the always-expected kick drum on beat 1 (hence the name - the 1 is dropped) and the emphasis in the bar moving to beat 3, with simultaneous kick and sidestick or snare hits. With just that in place, the feel is immediately transformed.

What is Reggae music? Is it how a person sounds while riding the rhythm. That Jamaican accent, with our unique dialect, or terminologies? Is it the music, that distinctive Jamaican reggae beat? You know that combination of sweet-sounding roots and culture, drum, and bass rhythm. Allowing the DJ to ride the chune like a cool Caribbean breeze at Christmas, blowing over mountains and through valleys. 

I normally say to people that, lyrically, reggae is message music, with progressive, forward thinking, revolutionary uplifting messages and as such, anything that delivers this progressive, forward thinking, revolutionary message can be regarded as reggae. But reggae is not wording alone, it is the combination of both music and lyrics taking the listeners on a righteous journey of life.

I have a holistic approach to real reggae. Some people might say I am a purest, but I am not because I welcome some innovation and imagination in the composition and development of the genre. So long as it comes back to its cultural roots in the end, remains true to its origin.

Off late I have been hearing a lot of reggae without reggae and I was enjoying some of them until I realized that I really miss Real Reggae Music. This reggae without reggae, was starting to both upset and worry me. What I have been hearing are reggae artist riding North American type hip hop like, ambient sounding electronic back beats and I have come to the conclusion that it does nothing for me. Many with progressive, forward thinking, revolutionary messages and while I am moved by the lyrics. I am saddened that it is not accompanied by that sweet-sounding roots and culture reggae drum and bass. The advocates of Reggae Revival must ensure that what they are reviving is Real Reggae and not some diluted crossover, watered down version of the genre.

As a people I think we are Genetically Predisposed to Real Reggae, it is a natural extension of who we are. Every molecules and cells in our bodies are entuned to this beat, vibrating in sync to this beat and without it we are lost.  


A lot of our artists are thinking about what is best for them, how can they maximize their profits. They are trying to walk the fine lines between genres trying to cross over into various markets, jack of all trades and ignore their own traditional market. They are turning their backs on what made them and this island famous in the first place. Trying to find new fame driven by the need for more financial wealth.

 
If there is a war between genres then reggae is losing that war. It is as if some of our artist is holding reggae under water trying to drown it. For me personally, I am not a fan of any other incarnation of reggae, genres like  Afrobeat, Reggaetón or Jungle is not for me.  

Artistic Freedom and Real Reggae
This is not about the opportunistic flyby night reggae pretenders, who cares nothing about reggae or the progression of their art but cares only about financial rewards. This is about real artist. On one hand, I selfishly, want the artist to dedicate all their efforts perfecting their real reggae skills. But on the other hand, one must respect the fact that the Artist must be free to explore, express and experiment his or her artistic talents, to be creative. In a sense, sowing their artistic wild oats, to grow as an artist and become more. In demanding that artist confines themselves to only Real Reggae, we might be stifling their artistic creativity, abilities and versatility. So I am walking a very fine line here. 

I remember Third World back in the days, they experimented a lot with reggae. Introduced a lot of different elements into their art and I enjoyed it.  

Room for let, apply within, when we run out, white people run in.
I find white Europeans are more true to Real Reggae than a lot of Black Jamaicans. Jamaican artist are vacating the reggae room and white people are moving in, to keep reggae alive and relevant. These are people who are not trying to find a short cut to reggae. Not interested in cutting corner, they want that authentic reggae drum, bass and culture. On a weekly basis I source my raw reggae from European sources because it is at times the only sources for it. They serve their reggae like how I love my rum, neat, no mixers, no ice!  However, Thank the lord for Kingston Dub Club! 


Kingston Dub Club - Kingston Reggae Mountain, Jamaica
King Shiloh Sound System  - Amsterdam, Holland,
Little Lion Sound System - Geneva, Switzerland
Jah Love Sound System - Warsaw, Poland

I saw online a 7 days European Reggae Music festival with no Jamaican line up. They no longer seem to need any Jamaicans to give the perception of Reggae authenticity. That is because they no longer need our watered down version of reggae.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The British Cornish Pasty vs. The Jamaican Beef Patty

Techniques for Sharing your Sky Juice at School

Heroes and Nation Builders of Jamaica